Thursday, January 10, 2008

Tough Day at the Flea Market

Yes Folks. It's true! When I'm not making millions on the Internet, I sometmes spend the day at the Flea Market trying to make a buck. Or at least my friend Daniela makes all the money.
Have you ever noticed how when a guy has a buck in his wallet or hand his woman wants to grab it like an octopus.

I mean the sucking sound pops your ears as she grabs your money.
Well we baked 4 hours in the sun at the Sunrise Flea Market today.
What a collection of odd people, and junk. I mean the county should just have a thousand dump trucks filled with tons of fill dirt surround the place and at about 9 AM they could create an instant land-fill.

What really gets me is the people there [ my woman included] think this stuff is really worth something. Just walking past the vendors gives me a big laugh...
"Well, this painting is an original done by my uncle in 1920." says the one leg vendor to the prospective stooge.
"I mean, just look at the quality. Had I remained living in Brooklyn this piece would be hanging in Guggenheim Museum."
The stooge holds it in her wrinkled brown hands, and shifts her false teeth back and fourth in her mouth. ' I likes the colors, and the frame will go in my garage. 5 Bucks."
"OK"
Another piece of junk shifted from one dump to another. Perhaps this is a real community service. It may actually be reducing the size of the Broward County landfill.
Walking about you see some of the most low life people on earth. They are the dregs, and they certainly match the merchandise.

Old tires; non working electronics; faded and ragged clothes and a host of mixed stuff that people clean out of their garages; the place is a wash with waste; human and otherwise.

One stand is filled with old food that was taken off the shelves of stores that are required by law to discontinue selling the stuff after the shelf life date has expired. Yet here it's OK to sell. Then there is the stench filled fruit stands. I really wonder where all those old brown bananas and over ripe avocados come from.
For the upscale shopper, there is an indoor ripoff joint where some of the most useless stuff is sold. I saw one filled with ceramic figurines that were covered with dust. Of course they paint lots of gold on these useless nick knacks and then glaze them up. I guess it helps glaze the eyes of the idiot who will buy this junk. Presumably the buyer can dust them off and take them home to gather dust from their home and not have to use the stores dust. In this same shop there were mirror moving pictures: ocean and park scenes of birds and fish moving on a celluloid sheet across a poorly painted beach or park scene painted on a mirror. As if that assault on the aesthetic visual senses wasn't enough the thing played some horrible music as the birds and fish jerkily inched across the grotesque images. The horror of the whole mess could only be properly described in its ugliness by a Fraser Crane type.
I have told my friend that if she wants to remain friends she will never again drag me into the Flea Market .
Her retort was:''OK then give me back the $40.00 we made selling our useless junk"

The wretched phrase" One man's trash is another man's cash." rang in my ears as we packed up and headed to the beach.

No comments: